Now more than ever before, we are rediscovering all of the ways to utilize our outdoor spaces as places to gather, relax, work, play, meet, and make memories. One of the silver linings of the challenging year we have faced is the discovery that so many of what we considered “indoor activities” – work meetings, movie night, winding down after a long day – are actually wonderfully suited for the outdoors.
In homes and businesses alike, people are stepping outside and finding that there is nothing that can compare to fresh air, an open sky, and the natural beauty of the plants that surround us. So, it’s not surprising that there has been a new level of interest in outdoor design and how it can be used to create versatile spaces for meetings, events, family get-togethers, and other gatherings.
At Waterloo Outdoor Design Build, we’ve been working with a diverse range of clients who are ready to redefine their outdoor space. Because healthcare professionals have recommended opting for an outdoor setting when meeting in small groups, there is an exciting new demand for spaces that can suit this purpose. And even though this movement towards outdoor events has been primarily spurred by current health and safety recommendations, we don’t expect it to go away anytime soon.
But before you can host a gathering at your home or business, you’ll need to have a well-suited space that is both practical and beautiful. We’ve put together a few of our favorite tips and ideas for outdoor event spaces that will enhance your property exceptionally well.
How to Add a Small Meeting or Event Area to Your Outdoor Space
Whether you’re interested in upgrading your residential or commercial property, the basic principles of outdoor design remain the same. A balance of aesthetics and usability is critical, but there’s no reason you can’t get creative and have a little fun at the same time.
If you’re thinking about how to set up event space in your outdoor area, the Waterloo Outdoor Design Build Team is breaking down some basic steps to help you get started.
1. First, put together a plan.
It probably sounds overly apparent to start the process with a plan in place, but you’d be surprised at just how often people dive into the design before they’re ready. It can be difficult not to get swept away by the excitement of bringing your vision to life, especially when you’re ready to start enjoying the space right now.
But before you find yourself picking out plants, furniture, and other design details, it’s important to outline a plan. Of course, you can always make adjustments to the plan as you progress through the design, but having a guide to rely on makes all the difference.
Here are some of the key points you’ll want to cover when creating your plan for designing an outdoor event space:
- Purpose: How will you be using the space? Are you a business owner that wants to offer staff a welcoming area for outdoor meetings or a homeowner that’s looking forward to hosting get-togethers in your backyard? Whatever it is that has inspired you, use it to frame out a clear purpose for the space in question. With that in mind, you can better devise a design that will serve your core purpose.
- Space: Consider the amount of space you have available, where it is situated, and what limitations (if any) you’ll need to workaround. There are creative solutions for just about any challenge in outdoor design, from limited build space to challenging terrain.
- Budget: Being prepared with a set budget can help you keep expenses within reason and also help you make sure that spending stays on track. For example, you might be tempted to purchase a set of luxury outdoor furniture, but realizing that it would require you to remove your dream garden from the budget could change your mind.
- Style: Defining your style can be one of the more difficult tasks in the planning process, especially if you’re not an experiencing designer. One way to get an idea of your design personality is to save images of outdoor spaces that you love. Finding the common elements can help you learn more about what you like – and what you don’t.
2. Decide what elements you want to incorporate.
When it comes to developing an outdoor area for events, it’s much more complicated than simply buying a few lawn chairs and calling it a day. If you truly want the space to shine, you’ll need to consider what kinds of features will improve functionality while also creating a high-impact look.
- Outdoor kitchens and BBQs: If you’re planning to host meals in the space, an outdoor kitchen offers the ultimate in convenience. Work with a professional in outdoor kitchen design for the best possible results.
- Landscaping: The plants in an outdoor space can completely transform its look and feel, so they should be selected and arranged with care. If being water-wise is vital to you, look for designers that specialize in native Texas plants.
- Decks, patios, and pergolas: Every gathering space needs an area where guests can sit, relax, and enjoy each other’s company. A large deck, an elegant patio, or an oversized pergola can offer the ideal space for casual conversations, meals, and many other outdoor activities.
- Water features: Even the most straightforward water feature can lend a sense of peace to the outdoor area, contributing to the ambiance of an event – even if it’s a casual workday meeting.
3. Partner with a professional in outdoor design.
Now that you have your ideas organized, a plan in place, and some must-haves in mind, it’s time to start working with an experienced outdoor design and build firm that can execute your vision. And if you don’t know precisely what you want or need in your outdoor meeting area, don’t worry – that’s where collaborating with a talented design team comes in handy.
Another one of the many benefits of working with a skilled professional is the knowledge they will bring to the table. With their help, you can adapt your landscaping ideas to be easier to maintain, better suited to the space, or even more eco-friendly. From layout to construction, a trusted expert will ensure that your dream space becomes a reality.
Customize Your Outdoor Space with Austin’s Leading Landscape Design & Build Firm
From a comfortable deck for a family home to an open-air meeting zone for a commercial office, the best outdoor design ideas center around the people who will actually be spending time in the space – not the landscape designers that are building it.
At Waterloo Outdoor Design Build, our primary goal is to develop a design based on the client’s personality, needs, and style preferences, balancing it with our expertise and artistic vision. Our team takes pride in creating your “happy place,” an outdoor area that will serve as a beautiful and functional backdrop to everyday moments and pivotal milestones alike. We truly enjoy showing our clients that form and function can absolutely coexist within an outdoor space you love.
For more information about our Austin outdoor design services, including garden design, patios and pergolas, outdoor kitchens, water features, and more, get in touch with the Waterloo Outdoor Design Build team today.
Featured Image: SeventyFour/Shutterstock